Orthodontic treatment for teenagers
The teenage years are one of the most common times when braces are required. Unfortunately, this tends to coincide with the time of life when teenage patients are at their most self-conscious. At Allstar Orthodontics we put our patients’ concerns first and have a number of options specifically for our teenage clients.
What does teenage treatment involve?
Orthodontic treatment is usually started once most of the permanent teeth have emerged. For teenagers, it is important comprehensive orthodontic treatment is combined with jaw orthopaedics to align the teeth, guide the growth and development of the jaws, and establish a proper bite.
How long does treatment take?
The length of orthodontic treatment depends on the severity of the problem. Typically, orthodontic treatment with braces will take between 12 and 20 months. During this time, all sports can be played with braces although a mouthguard may be required. Musical instruments can also be played whilst wearing braces.
One of the most popular orthodontic treatment options we offer our teenage patients is Invisalign Teen. Based on the Invisalign system, Invisalign Teen uses a series of virtually invisible, clear plastic aligners to move teeth into position. These aligners must be worn for 22 hours a day, but can be taken out for cleaning, brushing and flossing, as well as when playing sports or musical instruments. Invisalign Teen gets great results so we highly recommend this orthodontic treatment option to our teenage clients as it has very little impact on lifestyle.
Benefits of orthodontic treatment
- Some of the benefits our teenage patients can look forward to from orthodontic treatment include:
- Improved self-confidence associated with a more attractive smile
- Improved function and comfort associated with a proper bite
- Ideal alignment to improve cleansibility of the teeth
- Less stress / strain on jaw joints (TMJ) and facial muscles
- Improved distribution of forces on the teeth which leads to less abnormal wear of tooth surfaces